These are sermons and devotional messages by other people that spoke to my heart. I like to keep them for future reference. I claim no copyrights to any of them. They are here just to help me when I need to hear the message again. (Emphasis is mine, as these are the lines that spoke the loudest to me). Links to the original sermon page as well as the ministry page are placed in each one. Links to scriptures are included through Biblia.com or BibleGateway.com

Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Master Potter

The Master Potter

by Sisters In Christ (Women's Fellowship) Facebook page

“Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels.  And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.” Jer18:3-4

This is one of the most profound scriptures I know and I want to share with you this morning from it as a reminder to us all.

God sent the prophet Jeremiah down to the Potter’s house for a lesson one day.  The bible says that Jeremiah observed the potter (A maker of pottery or vessels) working, and he was making a vessel.  Then he noticed that the vessel was marred.  No potter would feel accomplished continuing with a marred vessel, so the potter made again another vessel as he saw fit.

There are some things I note here.  The first thing is that the Potter was in control, he was at the wheels working, to his leisure according to his time, making a vessel that he desired.  The second thing is that the vessels had no control.  The vessel was made into whatever the potter wanted. Third thing I noticed is, if the potter felt that the vessel was spoilt he had the right without consulting the vessel to break it up and make it again into another vessel of his choice.

The Lord said to Jeremiah “As the clay is in the hand of the potter so are you (His people) in my hand.”   That is something to note.  Just as the potter hold the clay in his hand so God holds us in His.  The difference between us and the clay is that we can speak and we have a will.  So it is easier for that potter than for God, because God gives us a choice.  The clay in the hand of a potter has no choice.  Now, what God wants is that we be silent and give over our wills/our choices, so He asked “cannot I do with you as this potter?”  In other words, can’t you be still and give over you wills to me so I can do to you what is my will and make you into the vessel I want you to be.

God is the Master Potter and He is at work in our lives.  He knows the vessels He wants.  When you hurt, when you cry, when you lack, when you cannot understand, He is shaping you into what He desires.  He is at the wheel, He is in control.  Will you be still and let him work to make you over anew?

Gillian-Global Scope Ministries

No comments: